Thursday, December 17, 2009

#8 Social Networking


I have had a MySpace page (growing cobwebs from lack of use) for several years and more recently a Facebook page (to see what my kids were up to-- with a positive intent-- not hovering, spying, or with the purpose of blackmailing), but I hadn't thought about using Social Network pages for the library. The examples I saw were outstanding-- especially with the slide shows of pictures and embedded training videos. They definitely got the cogs to turning in my mind.



The MySpace pages that I viewed have a better look about them (really impressed with the Library of Congress's page), but the Facebook pages seem to be more user friendly. I would love to create an interactive social page for our library where students can leave reviews, recommendations, and ratings for books along with how-to's related to searching for information-- in the library and on the Net. I think the hardest part would be to get beyond the fear of letting students loose with technology, but we might as well train them here where we can monitor and teach them rather than leaving it up to them to learn on their own-- usually the wrong way. Talk about teachable moments!! Everyone's getting on board; our libraries need to be there to virtually greet them and show them the best way to use this technology.


Art work by Nessa Dee - http://www.nessadeeart.blogspot.com/ Used with permission. See also http://www.etsy.com/shop/nessadee

No comments:

Post a Comment