Monday, June 3, 2013

Fish Sticks in the Toilet Paper Aisle

Wha-at?

We've all changed our minds at one time or other about something we've put in our grocery carts, but then some folks just stick the unwanted item anywhere because they don't want to take the time to put it back where it belongs. I actually saw a box of fish sticks sitting on a package of toilet paper in the grocery store one day. That's just plain lazy and irresponsible. And in that case it costs the store money when the fish sticks thaw out and they have to throw them away. If I change my mind about something and I don't have time to take it back or I'm already in the check-out line, I just give the item to the cashier. They've never frowned at me or slapped me or fussed a me for doing that. And that way it will be returned to its rightful place.

I sometimes tell that fish stick story during students' first visit to the library to teach them about misplaced books in the library. If they stick a book just anywhere in the shelves, it's a lost book, and it may take some time before it's found and returned to its correct place. The most aggravating consequence of books lost in the library is when a student needs a book that the catalog says is "in," but it's not where it's supposed to be. Sometimes I can do a quick search of a section and find it, but often a lost book is far from where it's supposed to be.

I tell students if they change their mind about a book, they can return it to its correct place in the shelves, or they can set the book in a designated area like a book cart or on a table, or they can hand it to me at the circulation desk. That way the book won't be lost in the library.

I guess that's one advantage of having a virtual library. No more books out of place. No more germs spread with each check-out. No more torn pages or gum stuck on the covers. No more shelving books or dusting shelves. But then a virtual library doesn't look or smell or feel the same as a room of wonderful, tangible books, does it. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment